Friday, December 7, 2012

1st Ever Legacy

Growing up listening to my mother’s stories of her years at Randolph Macon Woman’s College, I always pictured myself attending Randolph, but I never dreamed I could play lacrosse here. Back when my mother attended, sports were not that big of a deal at RMWC – I do not think there was even a lacrosse team! Thankfully, sports have now become a major part of life at Randolph, and Coach Wagner has built a fantastic lacrosse program. I have loved and played lacrosse for seven years, but I had never thought I would actually be able to play in college. To my delight and surprise, Coach Wagner and the team were extremely welcoming and encouraging. I am thrilled to be able to play for the Wildcats!

Despite my excitement, I was still quite nervous coming into the fall preseason. Having, obviously, never played at the college level, I was not sure if I could handle the intensity and balance lacrosse with my academics. But my fears were quickly calmed once the other first-years and I bonded with the team and got into the swing of things. After four weeks of practice I felt prepared (though still a bit anxious) for our fall ball play day. Despite the multiple injuries we suffered, I felt the play day and entire fall season went extremely well. We laid a good foundation upon which I am excited to build during our regular season next semester. Lacrosse is such a big part of my life here, and I could not have asked for a better group of teammates and coaches. I am honored to play lacrosse for my mother’s alma mater.

-Sara Woodward '16

No comments:

Post a Comment